Sunday, March 13, 2011

Colten Mitchell

Well, I suppose I will start at the beginning. Not the very beginning, mind you, but as far as recent events, the beginning. Wednesday March 9th was a very long day for me. I was nervous about being induced the next day and my mind was constantly thinking of all I needed to get done, and yet didn't feel like doing. i didn't feel well most of the day and just wanted to lay in bed, but I wanted to do something fun with Derek and Braden as well. I felt like I needed to go to the bathroom but couldn't and was worried about that slowing down my labor the next day. (Little did I know that the slowing of labor would be something I did not have to worry about at all. Derek and I got most of our stuff together for the hospital that night as we had to be there at 4 am on the 10th. We finally crawled in bed at about 11:30 pm. I was awoken from a dead sleep almost exactly 2 hours later with strong painful contractions. As first I tried to go to the bathroom thinking it was just bad gas. Then I had Derek time the pains. Yup definitely contractions. at one and a half minutes apart. So Derek and I grabbed the rest of our stuff quickly and headed to the hospital. but the time we got to the hospital (about a 10 minute car ride) I was having a hard time. But knew sitting was the last thing i wanted to do. I wanted to walk to L&D. A wheel chair sounded like a horrible idea. The nurses got me to a bed quickly and informed me I was about 5 cm. I remember hoping they hurried with the epidural. After I was checked the pain became so very intense that i couldn't escape from it. Nothing I did distracted me from it and i couldn't focus on my breathing. In a matter of about 30 minutes, the guy came into give me the epidural, the lab work was delayed, I apparently ripped out my IV in a convulsion during a contraction, and finally I had to sit really still while the guy started the epi. I remember feeling the need to push and was checked again. 8 cm. At this point the doctor was called and I was pleading with the epidural guy to hurry, but I was pretty sure I was going to have to do this without. Then my body started pushing without my permission. I was having to sit still with needles going into my back and could feel my baby crowning. At this point i wanted to scream forget it and to let me lay down. I made involuntary noises when my body involuntarily pushed, but I remember that pushing felt like a relief. Finally the guy finished taping up my epidural catheter and stepped away. I lay on my side and my body went into a push again that I tried to keep at bay but could not. Then, I felt my son being born. I won't gross you out, but it was one quick push and he was laying on the bed, crying. The Nurse standing next to me said, "Well, Happy Birthday." And then yelled at the other nurses, "3:45! Boy!" A few minutes later my doctor arrived. Haha! Derek was in such a shock the nurse had to remind him to pull out the camera. I remember relief, the most wonderful feeling of relief ever as I held my newborn Colten. Just an hour after we had arrived at the hospital. I did it... well... my body did. All on its own. Amazingly I made it through the whole thing with out screaming or crying. And the next thing I know we're calling mom's and updating facebook, telling the world that Colten Mitchell had arrive safely... and in a hurry. :) March 10th, 2011 at 3:45 am. 7lbs 8.6 oz. 20.5 inches long. All our prayers were answered.
He was here 15 minutes before I was supposed to arrive at the hospital to be induced.

1 comment:

  1. That is the coolest birth EVER!!! LOve it! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete